Published on:

Driver Inattention Can Cause Serious Injuries in Fort Lauderdale Car Accidents

Driver inattention is a common cause of Fort Lauderdale distracted driving accidents, and yet Florida lawmakers still haven’t passed a law banning texting while driving in our state, according to a recent article on

Florida is one of 17 remaining states that still do not address the issue of texting while driving. Palm Beach car accident lawyers know that banning this behavior could save thousands of lives each year, but motorists continue to be victims of bad decisions made by other drivers.

The National Safety Council has deemed such behavior important enough to dedicate an entire week of National Safety Month to ‘On the Road, Off the Phone’ to raise awareness of the dangers of using a cell phone while driving.

Almost 30 percent of all traffic crashes — over 1.5 million a year — are caused by motorists who are either texting or talking on their cell phone while driving. Everyone thought hands-free devices were the answer to reducing the risk of accidents, but it turns out that isn’t the case.

Stay Alive Just Drive reports that brain activity associated with driving can be reduced by almost 40 percent when drivers are talking on a cell phone. The odds for an accident are high if only 60 percent of your brain is focused on the skills needed to drive, such as reaction, vision, alertness and motor skills. It is reported that distractions in a car typically last three seconds. A car traveling at 45 mph can go the distance of half a football field in three seconds.

The NSC offers the following daily tips for ‘One the Road, Off the Phone’ week:

-June 27: Pull over to the side of the road or pull into a parking lot if you need to answer or make a call while driving.

-June 28: Tell your friends and family about the dangers of using a cell phone while driving.

-June 29: Change your voicemail to relay that you are currently driving but will return the missed call when you arrive safely at your destination.

-June 30: Refrain from using any wireless communication device while behind the wheel. Hands-free devices are proving to be no safer than holding a phone while talking.

The liability of distracted driving accidents falls at the hands of the driver who made a poor choice. Injured drivers should plan to take legal action by contacting an experienced car accident attorney to help get you the compensation you deserve.

If you have been injured by a distracted driver in Margate, Miami, West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale, contact Freeman, Mallard, Sharp & Gonzalez, LLC for advice about your rights. Call for a free consultation at 1-800-561-7777.

Additional Resources:

Texting while driving still allowed in Florida, by Melinda Carstensen,

Florida Ranks 37th Nationwide in Driving Skills, South Florida Injury Lawyers Blog, June 11, 2011

Cell Phones a Common Cause of Car Accidents at School Drop-Off Areas in Palm Beach, Elsewhere, Fort Lauderdale Car Accident Attorney Blog, June 1, 2011

Posted in:
Published on:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information